And lest I be merely raging, amaclean, here are some useful things you might teach your children.
1) Their bodies are their own and they don’t have to allow anyone to touch them for any reason if they don’t want to.
2) They are valuable people and don’t need anyone’s approval to retain that status, not even if that person claims to love them.
3) A romantic relationship is not necessary to be happy, to be a “complete person”, or any other bullshit generally sold about them. They are complete, whole, worthwhile people regardless of relationship status.
4) Relationship abusers are not creative, though they can be difficult to spot initially. They all pretty much do the same shit. Teach them what an abusive relationship looks like and what healthy ones look like. Television and movies give many excellent examples of abusive relationships, often in the guise of “romance”.
5) Abusers do not change and they do not love you, regardless of the stupid lies they tell. One should endeavor to extricate one’s self from an abusive relationship as soon as it is safe to do so.
These are the things that, had I learned them beforehand, might have helped me avoid that predator. Note how none of these “tips” involve what to wear, where to go, or how to act.
Here’s a little truth.